Disclaimer

Prefix: The Legal Stuff: All opinions expressed in this blog are mine and may have been previously disseminated by me either accidental or knowingly. My opinions are just that my opinion, and should not be relied upon as such. Past performance of a stock or fund is not indicative of future results. No guarantee to any specific outcome or profit is meant or implied. My investments or strategies mentions in this blog may not be suitable for you and you should make your own independent decision regarding them. My material does not take into account your particular investment objective or objectives, financial situation or needs and is not intended as a recommendation appropriate for you. You should consider seeking advice from your own investment adviser before making any purchase or investment. I am expressing opinions; I am NOT inducing you to make a particular investment or follow a particular strategy, but only expressing an opinion. I am doing this mainly for my children and friends, you are reading this with my permission. I change my mind and opinion and will do so without notice, you need to be aware you have real risk of loss in following any strategy or investment. You may get back less than you invest, negative return or loss. I want you to use what I have learned and make independent decisions regarding investments or strategies I mention before acting. You always need to consider whether it is suitable for you and your particular circumstances.

Monday, January 7, 2013

How to Use CNBC to Your Best Advantage


How to Use CNBC to Your Best Advantage

NOTE TO READERS: For some reason Google has changed blogger.  I can no longer download pictures.  I put the pictures in to make this blog more interesting.  I know learning about stocks and economics is boring to some.  Sorry I will not use the picture program from Google until fixed no pictures. 

In review you now have 7 stocks and 1 ETF.  Consolidated Edison Inc. (ED) or another utility, Kraft Foods Inc. (KRFT) or another food stock, Eaton Corp (ETN) or another industrial stock, Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan, Inc. (POT) fertilizer, and U.S. Bancorp (USB) or some other financial (Bank) stock of choice, an oil or gas stock my recommendation was Chevron Corp (CVX).  Copper ore Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc. (FCX) but any metal mining sector stock would do.  Last picked was a tech stock Microsoft Corp. (MSFT).  Remember you can own any stock in the sector not the one I recommend.  I like the SPDR Gold Shares Trust GLD ETF. 

 

Jim Cramer

 

I have recommended you watch CNBC.  Things to remember when watching Jim Cramer on Cramer’s Mad Money. 



Cramer is very concerned with your capital preservation.  He doesn’t want to loose you money.  This is a good thing!  He will not jump on a stock on the bottom since it is risky.  This protects your money, but looses your gains.  So what happens is when a stock is at the bottom Cramer is hesitant to recommend that stock, remember his first concern he does not want to loose you money.  So you miss 65 percent of the climb before he jumps on board.  Same is true at the tippy top, he says take some off but not all so when he says emphatically to sell you have ridden it down 50 to 60 percent down too.  When he jumps on a stock to sell it many times he is jumpping on at the bottom take First Solar, Inc. as an example his sell, sell, sell was at rock bottom.  It is up now.
 

If you have convictions you need to follow your convictions.  When there are two good stocks you are just as likely to be right.  Cramer liked Walgreen Co. (WAG), I liked CVS Caremark Corp. (CVS) better.  Cramer liked Lowe's Companies Inc. (LOW) where I liked Home Depot Inc. (HD).  I proved correct in both instances.  Cramer changed and agreed with me.  (Cramer does tell you when he is wrong and changes his mind, which I think is good.)  I never liked the drugstore space, but I did buy HD in the mid 20’s and rode it up.  Never, Never buy or sell anything based on the lighting round.  And, I do believe you should read his books.  I have purchased all and read all but one. 

 

The best thing you can learn from Jim is disvercation.  Learn it well it will help your portfolio.  The second will be dividends.  50% of the gains in the S&P 500 are reinvested dividends.  Be sure to get your automatic dividend reinvestment feature turned on with your broker if it is not already.

 

I don’t care what Crmer or Fast Money say a share buyback is not good for stockowners.  It is good for hedge funds, and the CEO of the company.  So when you see or hear of big buybacks it is a warning sign, not a good thing, the people who mililupate the stock market are mililupating your stock.  For the big guys who trade around stock it is good they can sell some, and buy it back latter if it goes down but keep the shares they trade around.  For the CEO it is a way to milipuate the stocks price so he gets a bonus at year end.  For you it is the company throwing away its money.  Dividends is the only thing that will work for you. 




Fast Money

 

I like Fast Money; it is on TV just before Mad Money, and is for after you understand everything you hear from Jim Cramer on Mad Money.  If you can’t understand Jim then skip Fast Money until you do.  It is on just before Mad Money.  It is also on at the halftime of the open market and called the Fast Money Halftime Report during the day, noon New York time.

 
I find the advice given on Fast Money just as helpful as Mad Money.  I have made the most money with three of the contributors.  I advise you to listen to them closely.  Their are some new advisors on now that come on infrequently.  Karen Finerman is a value investor.  Just by following her recommendations you cannot really go wrong.  Sometimes she is wrong but has a more right than wrong track record.  So of her recommended stocks are slow to come in. 
 
A Value Investor is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_investing  “it generally involves buying securities whose shares appear underpriced by some form of fundamental analysis”.  Warren Buffett, has argued that the essence of value investing is buying stocks at less than their intrinsic value. Karen’s advice is long term a year or longer years.
 
Karen recommended Microsoft Corporation, MSFT and Bank of America, BAC.  I bought the second and wish I had the first when she recommended it.  Both when up by 50%. 
 
Pete Najarian is an options trader and I learned how to invest in options by listening to him and studying.  He and his brother have made me a lot of money.  If you are not using options you are leaving money on the table.  Pete is not on as much as he used to be and he doesn’t do as much advice on options since Options Action started airing on Friday’s.  I recommend you start reading about and learning options.  Cramer on Mad Money doesn’t like options, since in a whoosh up you lose the underlying stock.  That can happen, but you are leaving money on the table.   His brother also comes on Fast Money occasionally.  They are good and when they have given specific options advice I have always made money, selling covered calls, or buy this stock and sell this call covered on top of it (Known as a Buy Right by the industry and sometimes they use that term and expect you to know what it means.)  Pete’s advice is short a week, or months at most. 
 
Guy Adami is good at pointing out the cliff on the side of the road you are driving on.  His recommendations are good and the best ones are the recommendations he gives over and over again.  He sometimes says we have talked about X stock forever.  Some of his advice goes for years like Karen’s.  He liked US Bancorp, USB and Church & Dwight Company, CHD.  I bought the first and wish I had bought the other.  Listen to what he has to say. 
 
Options Action
 
A half hour show only on Friday’s.  This is for the advanced investor.  You can learn about options.  I recommend you watch it but not play with options at first except for selling puts on stocks you want to purchase and covered calls on stocks you own; until you really understand options. 
 
The only problem is now on CNBC the options advice is of a higher level than it was at first when CNBC first started teaching about options.  I make a lot of return on my money selling puts to buy stock and selling covered calls on the stocks I own. 
 
The Other CNBC Shows
 
I don’t invest in currency or futures yet so have no recommendations yet.
 
T3Live on YouTube
 
These guys are good for the daily drift on the markets.  Usually outdated a day or two later.  You can watch them on U Tube.  They will teach you charting.  Charting is used on Wall Street.  Leonardo de Pisa (Fibonacci (pronounced fib-o-nawch-ee)).  With Fibonacci Wave theory they product the stocks advance and decline.  Look this one up on the internet if you are interested.  There are books written about it and others know way more than I do, and it actually does work in real life. 

1 comment:

  1. Good information. I have learned a lot listening to CNBC. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete