Disclaimer

Prefix: The Legal Stuff: All opinions expressed in this blog are mine and may have been previously disseminated by me either accidental or knowingly. My opinions are just that my opinion, and should not be relied upon as such. Past performance of a stock or fund is not indicative of future results. No guarantee to any specific outcome or profit is meant or implied. My investments or strategies mentions in this blog may not be suitable for you and you should make your own independent decision regarding them. My material does not take into account your particular investment objective or objectives, financial situation or needs and is not intended as a recommendation appropriate for you. You should consider seeking advice from your own investment adviser before making any purchase or investment. I am expressing opinions; I am NOT inducing you to make a particular investment or follow a particular strategy, but only expressing an opinion. I am doing this mainly for my children and friends, you are reading this with my permission. I change my mind and opinion and will do so without notice, you need to be aware you have real risk of loss in following any strategy or investment. You may get back less than you invest, negative return or loss. I want you to use what I have learned and make independent decisions regarding investments or strategies I mention before acting. You always need to consider whether it is suitable for you and your particular circumstances.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Buying Your1st Stock


You Have the Money What Now?

Now you have the funds saved up to buy your first stock.  I did not tell you your goal last post, but your goal should be 5 to 10 thousand dollars. 

Your account is set up with the right to sell calls and puts.

You are not sure what to buy, but would like to get started, but don’t have lots of spare time to do your investing right now.  Buy a boring stock.

Yes something that does almost nothing, doesn’t go up doesn’t go down much.  Just sits there and watching it would be like watching paint dry or grass grow.

You may be wondering why?  Your fist goal should be to make money but not lose much if any!  Not jump on the next hot stock and ride it up.  I have learned the hard way what shoots straight up, with time will go out of favor and shoot straight down too.  You will be like a deer in the headlights and freeze.  Trust me!  Ask the people who had Enron. 

The first things I purchased and made money on were boring.  I bought a food stock Kraft (KFT), a toy company Mattel Inc. (MAT), and a store Kmart (no longer traded).  Not growth stocks.  Made good money on all three. 

So for you I would recommend a boring food stock.  I would recommend one, only one you need to stay diversified, of these 4.  Kraft (KFT), HJ Heinz Co. (HNZ), General Mills (GIS) or Kellogg (K).  Of the 4 Heinz is the most safe and boring.  It stays between $50 and $55.  Kraft and Kellogg will need you to watch a more and have some things good and bad happening.  General Mills trends a bit to the upside very slowly (at least for now). 

Now the way to do it is to buy 100 shares of the stock and sell a covered call for a higher strike price about it.  You will need to be set up with your broker to do this and get your brokers help to code it into the screen as you do it.  Make 4 sure you set it up as reinvest dividends. 

Food companies are good because you have to eat right?  Recession, Depression or Boom you are buying food.  These 4 seem safe, and they all have a high again seeming safe dividend.  

Coming in later posts is a way to make money if the stock stays in a range, automatically buy more if it goes down or automatically sell it if it goes up. 

Also a recommendation on a second boring stock in a different industry so you are diversified if all food stock drop for some reason like commodity costs going up.  We can address growth stocks at a later date.

1 comment:

  1. Good recommendations! Thanks for these insightful posts!

    ReplyDelete