Disclaimer

Prefix: The Legal Stuff: All opinions expressed in this blog are mine and may have been previously disseminated by me either accidental or knowingly. My opinions are just that my opinion, and should not be relied upon as such. Past performance of a stock or fund is not indicative of future results. No guarantee to any specific outcome or profit is meant or implied. My investments or strategies mentions in this blog may not be suitable for you and you should make your own independent decision regarding them. My material does not take into account your particular investment objective or objectives, financial situation or needs and is not intended as a recommendation appropriate for you. You should consider seeking advice from your own investment adviser before making any purchase or investment. I am expressing opinions; I am NOT inducing you to make a particular investment or follow a particular strategy, but only expressing an opinion. I am doing this mainly for my children and friends, you are reading this with my permission. I change my mind and opinion and will do so without notice, you need to be aware you have real risk of loss in following any strategy or investment. You may get back less than you invest, negative return or loss. I want you to use what I have learned and make independent decisions regarding investments or strategies I mention before acting. You always need to consider whether it is suitable for you and your particular circumstances.

Monday, May 28, 2012

How To Start


The First Day

I am assuming for the purpose of this blog which is for my friends and family you have not started or are just beginning.  I will recommend stocks as I go along. 

1. You must have a budget.  The simpler the better.  I use a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet.  First enter your monthly bills.  List from 1st day of the month to the last, this comes in helpful knowing the date your bills are due and the amount.  My electronic Allstate auto insurance bill has gone missing in electronic never never land, I would not have known if I did not keep this budget.  You may say well get a paper bill.  It saves me 10% to get it electronic.  Over $100.  So I called my agent and sent him the funds.  Meth users have broken into our community mail boxes looking to steel identities, again missing bills.  Know your obligations.

2.  Next list your quarterly bills, just like your month bill.  Finally your yearly bills both quarterly and yearly listed in the same format just like the monthly bills.

3.  I am going to assume that you have a local checking account.  If you don’t have a local checking open one.  This is to pay your budgeted bills.

4.  Open a broker account and have the internet at home.  When I started trading stock I started with Merrill Lynch.  To trade I purchased the stock with a side spread I believe it was 1/4 or 1/16 or something like that of a dollar.  When buying a 100 shares that rounds up or down to the closest 1/4 or 1/16.  I always seemed to get rounded up.  I believe the fee was $39 a trade and a $30 annual fee.  I found Merrill less than honest in 2 cases.  I felt like brokers treated me like a “Muppet” quoting the brokers in Goldman Sacks, a derogatory Goldman Sacks employees have used to describe customers. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/27/muppets-vs-goldman-sachs-funny-or-die_n_1383330.html

Now you can buy with a penny spread.  And, if you are willing to do it with an on line broker with $5 to $10 dollar commission.  Open an on line broker bank account.  Yes bank account.  Get a check and saving account and open a brokerage account after that.

The broker checking account is for your emergency funds.  So you don’t have to dip into your investments.  You investments are for when you can’t work.  Car repairs, sickness, home repairs, etc…

The broker savings account is for you stock purchases.  Start saving for when you can’t or don’t want to work.  Wouldn’t it be nice to have the life of a movie star and be young, beautiful, and not have to work?  Well this account is for the one of these 3 things you can have.  You don’t have to work if you get enough money working for you.

I use Charles Schwab and I find them fair and honest with me.  By the way this step will take time just due to the paperwork and mailing time. 

1 comment: